OK, so this is another post not exactly related to humanoid balance research, but more so to tools I use to do my research. I use a lot of tools, but this is by far the most important and useful.
First of all, I use Dropbox to synchronize all of my documents and videos between the web, my lab computer, office computer, laptop and home computer. It runs a little program in your system tray that monitors a specific folder where you save all the things you want synchronized. As soon as a change is detected, it syncs it to the web and then to all of your computers also running Dropbox. It happens automatically! And I like that it also syncs online because you can still get to the files even if you're not near any of your computers. They're also constantly updating and improving it, which is very cool.
Second, I started using Subversion (svn) to backup and track changes to all the code and text documents I write. I use it for the code for the robot, matlab code for my models, different versions of my simulator and even my thesis which is written in LaTeX. You don't need a server to run subversion, you can store the repository on your local PC and interact with it using a client like TortoiseSVN, which is what I use.
Now, the MAGIC that inspired me to write this post is if you store the Subversion repository in your dropbox folder, suddenly all of your computers have automatically synced repositories. It's great. Of course you could set up a svn server somewhere, but this is WAY easier and has the added benefit that if you happen to be without an internet connection, the repository is stored on your hard drive so you can still checkout and checkin changes. Then as soon as you reconnect, it syncs! Although I haven't tried it yet, you can also share dropbox directories with other dropbox users, meaning you could collaboratively work on an svn project.
Just felt like sharing.
Friday, February 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I would be very careful with this (i.e. backup the repo regularly). The svn repository contains a bunch of database (binary) files, and I have had issues in the past with Ubuntu One (similar to Dropbox) failing completely at keeping those in sync. If dropbox gets confused, you will end up with a non-working repository.
ReplyDeleteMy setup has the svn/bzr/whatever repository on one of the andrew or SCS servers. They're always online, backed up regularly, and sharing is as easy as correctly setting AFS permissions. I often check out a copy on my cloud drive so that I can access the files via the web.
Props for using svn btw, version control makes life much much easier. Long gone are the days of the USB stick dance between desktop/laptop/computers.